Wednesday, December 05, 2012

SHATTER ME (A REVIEW)

A Review of Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (spoiler alert!)


So, here's the catch. I read the book, like eons ago (seriously,like almost a year ago, after it was published). I was so occupied with school stuffs back then, and lately, with my internship. I haven't produced a book review these days, actually, this year. What a procrastinator I am! And I know that. 


Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war– and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.


Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.


MY THOUGHTS

Okay, so this dystopian novel is about seventeen-year old Juliette Ferrars who was locked away in an asylum by the Reestablishment (Government) due to her "abnormality". Fun thing is, she could beat the sh8t out of you  just by touching, worst is, her touch could kill you. I found this book when I was bored invading the mall and the cover caught my attention. Well, a great cover of the book makes me want to pull it out of the shelf and read the stuff there. Bang, it did great on me.

I told myself that it isn't another dystopian novel again. That the story would be just like the others; making choices, tight-leashed government, forbidden love. But Tahereh Mafi proved me wrong. My reading experience took me to emotional roller coaster ride, making me cry, scream, yell, and jealous that Juliette had two swoon worthy young men competing for her. (oops, Warner is mine!)

The first page got me. It made me want to continue reading and didn't stop until I was so hypnotized. Reading Shatter Me was like reading a whole book of poetry. She has this strange ability that could hypnotized the readers, make them grip the book tighter and won't let go. Tahereh's extreme power over words which she exhibited through her emotionally beautiful protagonist, Juliette. I fell in love with every heart beat. I thought that Juliette was vulnerable, I thought wrong. She's not. That girl's amazing! 

I got the hype in the first few pages and couldn't put it down. The story was incredibly and superbly written. It's The Hunger Games and The X-men bundled in one book. I didn't know how I should feel with the fact that Juliette was locked away in that cell for years like Rapunzel. Pity. Anger. I was intrigued, wanted to find the reason behind her entrapment. And when the mysterious boy named Adam Kent, (who was definitely a part of her past) showed up in her cell for undercover work, I baldy wanted to rip the page and burn it along with the boy's betrayal. Tahereh, youuuuuu!

I loved the conflict in the story even though the first chapters were on Juliette and Adam the entire time. Since the story was narrated by Juliette, the book failed to establish the world in full details but in my perspective, that done me. It was fine to me. I still have this confusion until now since the second book comes out early next year; ADAM AND WARNER CAN TOUCH HER, WHY?

Tahereh needs to answer that simple question for it is frequently asked during discussions and group forums (I've been a part some time) I understand that Shatter Me is a trilogy, but Tahereh shouldn't put all the conflict in a book which she has to answer with the second or the third. Some conflicts/problems should be solved in time. 

In all, I loved the story and it is still my favorite book of all time. I love Tahereh. I love Juliette. I like Adam (really?) I like Kenji. I love their powers. I love the entire story. I love me. I love Warner.

I am giving 6 out of 5 stars to this book! *No Biased my friend!



Oh, and a novella is out now with Warner's POV. I read it and it made me crave for the second book for more. -sigh-

Destroy Me is the title of the novella.



---A.


P.S.

My Review for Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi, soon. Here on my blog!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from you again! You can leave your contact below so we can keep in touch!