Sunday, December 09, 2012

Stand-Alone Books

I know I'm not the only one who feels lost and battered whenever a sequel of a favorite book comes out next season. I've been frustrated when a book leaves me hanging in the end. It's like having your nutella when you are diabetic. Ugh, so frustrating! But wait! You don't have to curl yourself into a ball in the corner of your room, grieving and moping! There are still living authors who care for their readers! *highfive

I make my list of stand-alone books in different genre (YA, NA, Fiction, Paranormal, Roamnce)

To top my listopia, here's ...

1. BEFORE I GO TO SLEEP by S.J Watson 



It did hold my interest from the first page and the author didn't allow me to put it down. This is a story of a woman who can't remember everything when she wakes up. And the story goes on and on ... Read it and you'll know what I am talking about!


2. SOMETHING LIKE NORMAL by Trish Doller

Travis’s dry sense of humor, and incredible sense of honor, make him an irresistible and eminently lovable hero.
This is a great one. I love the drama and the turns of the story. I highly recommend this one, especially to those people whose members of the family are in the military service. 














3. BEFORE I DIE by Jenny Downham



This is a story of Tessa who has only five months to live.Fighting back against hospital visits, endless tests, drugs with excruciating side-effects, Tessa compiles a list. It’s her To Do Before I Die list. And number one is Sex. Released from the constraints of ‘normal’ life, Tessa tastes new experiences to make her feel alive while her failing body struggles to keep up. Tessa’s feelings, her relationships with her father and brother, her estranged mother, her best friend, and her new boyfriend, all are painfully crystallised in the precious weeks before Tessa’s time finally runs out.

I cried reading this. Okay, I am always an emotional wreck, nothing's new. But dang, this book, it's just. *sigh


4. EVERY DAY by David Levithan


Every day a different body. Every day a different life. Every day in love with the same girl.

I wonder how does it feel like waking up into different body each day. Different memories. Different norms. A KNOWS HOW. This is a unique love story. Tell me if you don't cry reading this. *oops! Spoiler! :)










5. ON DUBLIN STREET by Samantha Young



If you love Fifty Shades of Grey, you will love this more. A kick-a** woman, a swoon worthy man, combined with Samantha Young's experience as a writer, On Dublin Street is a steamy romantic novel for you. Give way to Braden Carmichael! *faints

*ADULT CONTENTS


6. ON THE ISLAND by Tracey Graves

                                                        

I haven't read the book but I feel like giving in. This book doesn't sound like my type but I want to read it anyway. It has great reviews in Goodreads so let's all check this out!


7. NEVERWHERE by Neil Gaiman


When Richard Mayhew stops one day to help a girl he finds bleeding on a London pavement, his life is forever altered, for he finds himself propelled into an alternative reality that exists in a subterranean labyrinth of sewer canals and abandoned subway stations. He has fallen through the cracks of reality and has landed somewhere different, somewhere that is Neverwhere.


8. GOING TOO FAR by Jennifer Echols


I am a huge fan of Jennifer Echols. I read everything she writes, like every single book. So, this book took me to a roller coaster ride and I am definitely recommending this to everyone! \

9. THE SKY IS EVERY WHERE by Jandy Nelson


This remarkable debut is perfect for fans of Sarah Dessen, Deb Caletti, and Francesca Lia Block. Just as much a celebration of love as it is a portrait of loss, Lennie's struggle to sort her own melody out of the noise around her is always honest, often hilarious, and ultimately unforgettable. 

10. SOPHIE AND CARTER by Chelsea Fine 




While other high school seniors are dreaming about their futures, Sophie and Carter are just trying to make it through each day. Carter is overwhelmed by issues at home as he struggles to support his mother. Meanwhile, next door neighbor Sophie is left to care for her three younger siblings in place of their absent and troubled mother. All that holds these two best friends together is each other, and knowing that each night they'll sit together on Sophie's front porch swing and escape from reality, if just for awhile. But as their relationship reaches a turning point and high school graduation nears, will their friendship become something more? 




-----

You better snatch this list up and start reading. I am happy to hear from you! I am more than willing to share ideas with you guys. Can you give me something to read to? :)


---A









No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from you again! You can leave your contact below so we can keep in touch!