Wednesday, December 26, 2012

BEAUTIFUL DISASTER, A Review


BEAUTIFUL DISASTER by Jamie McGuire


SYNOPSIS

INTENSE. DANGEROUS. ADDICTIVE.


Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate number of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University’s Walking One-Night Stand.



Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby wants—and needs—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.

(Source: Goodreads.com)


MY THOUGHTS


This book has been resting in my shelves for months. Actually, it's been a year. I just didn't have the interest that time. I was hibernating with YA novels then. Beautiful Disaster has a target readers of ages sixteen and above(?) It falls under the New Adult genre which I only discovered about two months ago. Today, I have this thing about NA novels- I can't get enough of them!

Anyway, this is one of the novels that I opened and didn't know what to expect. I didn't know the synopsis or the plot. I just grabbed it and started reading because I saw high ratings on twitter. And so, I decided to become a hermit and folded myself between the pages of this book. My review contains no spoiler so feel free to read! 

When I finally did, I gripped the story and never let go. Okay, that was lame. Ha! The beginning of the book is really good but quite predictable. I loved the character development in the story. But when I hit on the 50%, I was bored and rested my mind with the lunacy of the major characters. I hated the twist and turns of Travis and Abby's relationship. From the beginning of their "Friendship" until the end, the conflicts and stupidity never ceased. And I always hate a book with that. 

The story gone through ups and downs, especially when the characters decided to take the relationship up a notch. The characters are so full of skins and layers. There were times when I wanted to stripped them out of their pretenses. Ugh, I am literally ripping my hair out now! Plus, is there a stupid person existing in this world  with a head as thick as Abby's? GAAAAAA! Why couldn't she understand how Travis felt for her? Is she really that stupid? *rolling my eyes

This book took out a lot of reaction from me. I am always a fan of tattoos-I want one myself but just couldn't. Going back, I liked Travis and his personality, sometimes. But most of the time, I wanted to kill him with a butter knife (Hello Peter- Divergent) He's so possessive and repulsive. I've felt like I'd just choke myself with my own belt than to be with the man. It annoyed me when he acted like a moron, kicking all the boys away from Abby. Oh, the trust issues! They fought, they made out. What is wrong with these two? *fanning myself ridiculously 

I mean, seriously?

Beyond my rants, I can definitely say that I liked the book. The ending fits the title of the story really well. Honestly, after finishing this novel, my mouth was on the floor, agape. Even now, I still can't believe that Jamie turned my view of the book from hating it to liking it. This is actually one of the books that you will either like or hate.

If you're asking me if I recommend it, hell yeah! :) YOU'VE BEEN WARNED! If you're looking for a steamy romance, well, this book is for you!






With this, I'm giving Beautiful Disaster three and a half apples. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from you again! You can leave your contact below so we can keep in touch!