Monday, January 21, 2013

Guest Post: Review of EVERY DAY by David Levithan

This is my first time to host a blog event, ever. I am really really glad to host such activity since there are so much to share out there. 

My very first blog activity is an event in which any blogger/internet buff, bookworm, analyzer, a simple reader or even an ordinary person has the privilege to share thoughts about a book read. I am a girl who happens to have friends who share the same interest in books. In every book that we read, we share ideas and daydream on every fictitious character. And so, a concept of blog guesting came into my very eager mind. Every week, I am introducing new reviewers. It doesn't matter who, or what the person does in his/her life, as long as the passion for books radiates within that person. For two months, this blog will feature book reviewers and critics. They might also give us book recommendations. So watch out! :) 

For my first guest, I welcome MS. ALTHEA CAHAYAG with her review of Every Day by David Levithan.



*contains spoilers* 

   This is Every day by David Levithan. I just finished reading this yesterday? Yes. Yesterday. I was fascinated by its plot. The “Every day a different body. Every day a different life. Every day in love with the same girl.” Yep! I am not into the Every day in love with the same girl thing though I felt that it was it all about. I was able to know it because of a classmate who was having a hard time looking for it. I’m this “internet freak” and decided to help her, though I haven’t told her that I am looking for it. When I succeeded, I messaged her and, surprise! surprise! You have the book you are looking for. 
I was the first one to have it but I am the last to read it. Loser!

   So, here is/are my thing/s about the book.

   It was slow.

   The pacing was a little slow for me. Yes, given the fact that it is a novel, so it can count that the situations can be slow and be detailed but, I wasn’t into it. It’s like, “Okay, so?” That’s my main problem while I was reading it. I understand that it has to be established - that every day, A, the main character, transfers from one body to another. But still, for me, it seems like, it had too many ‘examples’ on establishing it. But the thing with the struggling of mind, body and soul, well yeah, it was good. It was established.

Loopholes

What happen to the souls of the body A takes? Where do they go? Do they just sleep? Like, they stay inside and they are just like sleeping then A’s the one who’s awake? Where? Do they go somewhere? What happens to them?

How can it be done? The process on how the ‘things’ like A, stay in one body FOREVER??? It wasn’t mentioned. It was mentioned that it is possible to happen but how???

Lastly, I know it’s an open-ended story. And that’s one thing with reading materials. They let readers do the next details. The next events. Whatever they want things to be. The author does not give everything. But yeah. What happened to Rhiannon and Alexander (hope I named him right)?

At the end. I want to say that A’s stupid and selfish. He could have a happy ending. They could have a happy ending — A and Rhiannon. But he didn’t do it. Well, partially stupid, partially not. Because it is selfishness, too, to ruin a life for his own sake or happiness. The body he will take over. He was selfish because like what Rhiannon said when A was in Vic’s body. What if Vic and his date has something very important for Vic to do? And A was with Rhiannon. What if because of just a day, everything gets messed up in Vic’s life because of A?

And A’s selfish for saying like, Rhiannon has to be with Alexander — the last body A was in. It seemed like, he was saying that Alexander is a good guy and they should end up together. Yes, spoiler. Did he even ask if Rhiannon wants things to be that way? A hurt Rhiannon. A has hurt itself (let me call A an it since A doesn’t even know if A’s a he or a she). So maybe, I call it quits.
So this is a lame review. And to David Levithan’s fans, please, do not be angry at me. Just expressing.



-----
ALTHEA DAVID CAHAYAG is a blogger, writer and a consistent honor student. She's currently taking up a bachelor degree in Broadcast Communication at the Polytechnic University of the Philippines.



P.S

IF YOU'RE INTERESTED IN REVIEWING BOOKS, COMMENT YOUR NAME BELOW OR CONTACT ME THROUGH MY ACCOUNTS LISTED IN THIS BLOG. THANK YOU! :)


2 comments:

  1. The review is good. I actually agree to you. But how do you rate David?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anon!

      I also asked Althea (reviewer) about that. It was a long-short story. So, to make it normal, she didn't want to give ratings to the book. I don't want to be the one to say it so maybe I'll ask her if I could share her reasons.

      But if you're going to ask me, I probably am recommending the book to my fellow readers!

      Have a nice day!
      -A

      Delete

I want to hear from you again! You can leave your contact below so we can keep in touch!