Sunday, September 16, 2012

A Review on Halo by Alexandra Adornetto


To make this review a formal one, I should give the plot/summary of the book first. Though I don't do conventional reviews. I love things my way.

Three angels – Gabriel, the warrior; Ivy, the healer; and Bethany, the youngest and most human – are sent by Heaven to bring good to a world falling under the influence of darkness. They work hard to conceal their luminous glow, superhuman powers, and, most dangerous of all, their wings, all the while avoiding all human attachments.

Then Bethany meets Xavier Woods, and neither of them is able to resist the attraction between them. Gabriel and Ivy do everything in their power to intervene, but the bond between Xavier and Bethany seems too strong.
The angel’s mission is urgent, and dark forces are threatening. Will love ruin Bethany or save her?

--------------

I was reluctant in reading this book. Actually, I was kinda choosy picking this for my library. The verdict? Damn, I couldn't put it down. I love how Alexandra started the book. Okay, this contains spoilers so don't keep your hopes up! Hahaha.

It was August 21st when I decided to read this book. It was a national holiday here in the Philippines. I had nothing to do but linger, waiting for something worthwhile to come my way. Then, I was too bored I needed some gas. And I found "Halo" in my shelves. I had this thing on Angel novels, to be exact, paranormal urban fantasies. But when "The Immortal Series" by Alyson Noel came along, I dropped all my suspicions and reluctance toward the matter.

The Book and I

The book talked about religion and stuff. We all do believe in something, even the worst. Alexandra has a way in giving the readers goosies. Yeah, right. I liked how the first page of the book was written; I was undeniably caught up into a situation of reading and not doing my thesis. What did I do? Oh well, I read and read until the book left me craving for the sequel.

So the story began with the three angels-in-mission descended to Earth. Bethany (she prefers Beth) is the youngest angel of the three who's almost human. I love her character though she's even too girly for me to like. I don't understand why I feel so much for her. She's naive and innocent. I love the fact that she's an angel, a guardian angel I mean. Then came Xavier Woods. They say books are juvenile. They are excuse for  the dreams we never had. I guess Xavier Woods proved that theory. He's adorable, loving and "fictitious". Damn, why all the good ones have to be on the book? Xavier would be one of the long list of my fictional boyfriends.

Going back to the story, I love how the author mixed religion and values with romance and action. I was jumpy while reading the book. I couldn't keep my hands from turning pages. Duh, the chemistry between Xavier and Bethany is overflowing. That is understatement. Their chemistry? Oh gosh. I want my relationship to be that way. Not that I want to be an angel, I am a sinner. I don't qualify as a good person anyway. 




“That was one of the saddest things about people--their most important thoughts and feelings often went unspoken and barely understood.” 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from you again! You can leave your contact below so we can keep in touch!